Pages

Sunday, December 19, 2010

I only like a rocky road when it's in a ice-cream cone.

The past few days have been tough for me, probably because of the stress of the upcoming holidays. I love Christmas and the true meaning behind it, but let's face it, these days the celebration also entails long trips in the car, inescapable music, an overwhelming busy-ness, and of course, school finals to get everything off to a great start.

Thankfully, the exams are over, and I even surprised myself with how well they went! I was concerned about my math final (numbers and I have never mixed), but I was extremely pleased with my posted grade. It felt like a real victory because not only was it a math final, but I did okay even with the grating noises of everyone using their calculators and scratching with their pencils. There was also a fan that was whirring in the room.

And still I made it. Chewing gum was a lifesaver, and it also helped that the instructor insisted on the class spreading apart, which meant I did not have people sitting on all four sides of me.

Still, I have had some rough days after that. I have been trying to be more faithful about incorporating my sensory diet, especially bouncing and getting long hot showers. Yesterday was difficult because I had to get up early for a holiday event, and I never do well with getting up early (sleeping late is another one of my coping tools). I didn't get coffee until later, so for a while, my skin felt raw. I was able to wear sweatpants and a hoodie most of the day, though, which helped a lot.

But all in all, I am feeling a thousand times better now that my semester is over. I had been resorting to my unhealthy stims before the exams, but I am easing my way back into wellness. I have vegged on the computer this morning, though, which probably hasn't been the best for me. It's time to say good-bye and go do sometime active for myself.

Merry Christmas, and best wishes for an overload-free holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment