Pages

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Living Sensationally

Hi, I'm Lydia, and I am a young adult who is living life "sensationally." When I was diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD) at age sixteen, I was embarrassed about it. I didn't want anyone to know about my new "label," even though I'd been living with the "condition" forever.

These days, though, I am a little more open about my experiences. I have decided to share my thoughts about life with SPD in hopes that I can encourage fellow teens and students with sensory issues, as well as parents who have "sensational" kids.

I can't promise what this blog will end up looking like, but I will try to post about the good days, the bad days, and everything in between. SPD has a way of making life interesting, and maybe you can relate. Let's just face it, sometimes a "sensational life" stinks. Living sensationally can mean we often can't stand smells that other people barely notice; it can mean we're in agony while other folks are simply enjoying a day at the mall; it can mean we feel sick while those around us are peacefully riding in the car.

Or it can mean something else. In a lot of ways, I am hypersensitive, oversensitive to sensory input; you might be more hyposensitive, or under-responsive to sensory input. Or you might be both in different ways, like I am. For more information about SPD, check out http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/index.html (but don't let this blog or that website keep you from talking to an occupational therapist who specializes in the disorder).

No comments:

Post a Comment